Welcome to Niagara-on-the-Lake, one of Canada’s most historic and picturesque towns! Located at the tip of the Niagara Peninsula and nestled along the shores of Lake Ontario, Niagara-on-the-Lake includes the five communities of Old Town, Virgil, St. Davids, Queenston and Glendale.
Established as a settlement for United Empire Loyalists in 1781, the Town was incorporated and became the first capital of Upper Canada in 1792. It was then rebuilt after the war of 1812.
Niagara-on-the-Lake is a town of many firsts: the first capital of Upper Canada; home of our nation’s oldest printing press – which published the first newspaper in Upper Canada, the Gazette; and home to the first circulating public library in Upper Canada.
Although we are a smaller community of approximately 17,500 permanent residents, we also welcome millions of visitors each year.
Each year millions of people from around the world travel here to experience our Town’s unique charm and historic sites, including Fort George and Brock’s Monument; period-restored heritage homes, top-flight golf courses, breath-taking parks and gardens, as well as over 30 wineries and countless vineyards, many of which produce our world-class ice wine.
Residents and visitors alike enjoy the town’s natural beauty, as well as our many heritage landmarks and local amenities, including some of the finest vineyards, orchards and greenhouses in Canada; the world-famous Shaw Festival Theatre; internationally-acclaimed wineries; and four-star dining and visitor accommodations.
We would love to see you here!
Visit Award-Winning Niagara-on-the-Lake
The following videos were produced by the Tourism Partnership of Niagara:
Niagara-on-the-Lake Receives Special Recognition
- Niagara-on-the-Lake named second best place to retire in Canada by Business Advice Source
- Trivago names Niagara-on-the-Lake one of Canada's Top 10 Best Value Cities for 2016
- Niagara-on-the-Lake named one of the Top 10 destinations in Canada by Trip Advisor's Travellers' Choice in 2015
- Niagara-on-the-Lake ranted #1 on Trivago's 2015 Canada’s Best Value Cities
- Niagara-on-the-Lake was ranked 7th of the top 10 visitor destinations for all of Canada by Trip Advisor's 2014 Travelers' Choice.
- La Dolce Vita: Great Food and Wine in Niagara - Italy style! - Toronto Star; Jim Byers' Travel Blog
- Harbour House Hotel, Shaw Club, and Charles Inn Restaurant chosen for Trip Advisor's Travelers' Choice Awards.
- Queen Street voted among top 20 streets in Canada by Vacay.ca.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake 'casts a magical spell' according to an article in the Indiana Gazette.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake is named second out of the 10 most romantic places in Canada by Reader's Digest.
- Recent moves by Town Council and staff to diversify Niagara-on-the-Lake’s economy has garnered national attention in the prominent on-line business publication, The Canadian Business Journal. See the Town's Media Release for details.
- Smarter Travel named Niagara-on-the-Lake as one of North America's most romantic small towns.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake is featured in the September 2011 issue of Lakeland Boating Magazine.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake was ranked as the #1 food and wine destination in Canada by Trip Advisor's Travelers' Choice in 2011.