Commissioning Stamp

Commissioning Services

Commissioning Services

An affidavit is a declaration or statement of facts, confirmed by the oath of the party making the affidavit.  It is taken before a person having authority to administer such an oath.

The Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act (issued by the Province) empowers Municipal Clerks and other officials to take various types of declarations.  A Commissioner’s stamp is affixed to the document once the oath has been taken and signatures have been witnessed.

Notary Public Services

The Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake Commissioners of Oaths are not Notary Publics. You must contact a lawyer, a notary public, or a justice of the peace to sign those documents.

Commissioner of Oaths Services

The Town provides Commissioning Services.
  • A commissioner is a person authorized by the Province of Ontario to take oaths or declarations when you sign an affidavit or statutory declaration
  • The Town Clerk or Deputy Town Clerk of the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake are, by virtue of office, commissioners for taking oaths and affidavits
  • We reserve the right to refuse commissioning services of any document
  • A document that is in any language entirely other than English will not be commissioned as we cannot validate the information
  • As of April 4, 2023: $17 per document
Service Availability
  • The service is provided subject to the availability of a Commissioner of Oaths during regular business hours
  • Residents are required to call ahead and make an appointment
  • You are required to keep the appointment or call to cancel
  • Please contact the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake Customer Experience Representatives at 905-468-3266 extension 0 in advance to confirm that your document can be commissioned by the Town's Commissioner of Oaths and to make an appointment, subject to availability
  • The person(s) signing the affidavit must show current proper government-issued identification bearing the photograph and signature of the declarant (such as a valid Driver's License or Passport) and is required to sign in the presence of the Commissioner.
Domestic and Foreign Pension Documents – Proof of Life
  • The service is provided subject to the availability of the Town Clerk or Deputy Town Clerk. Residents are required to call ahead and make an appointment
Commissioner of Oaths can sign documents, at their discretion, that include but are not limited to the following:
  • Vehicle transfer of ownership
  • Insurance claims
  • Pension plan
  • Domestic and Foreign Pension – Proof of Life
  • Certification of an identifiable individual's signature
  • Government-related forms
  • Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake department forms
  • Life certificates for foreign pensions
  • Consent to travel with children (travel letters)
The Commissioner of Oaths will not sign documents related to the following:
  • Wills, living wills, and codicils to wills
  • Estate documents
  • Land transfer documents
  • Powers of attorney
  • Divorce, separation or custody
  • Theft
  • Real estate documents
  • Court documents or documents related to court proceedings
  • Documents that require the signature of a Notary Public
  • Passport (in lieu of guarantor)
  • Proof of residency
  • Documents related to finances (banking information, RRSP, Canada Savings Bonds)
  • Declaration of a Translator
  • Age of Majority or BYID Card applications
  • Certified True Copies
  • Documents related to debt
  • Vaccination exemptions

Was this page helpful?